(urth) Pike's ghost

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 12:22:33 PST 2011

larry miller: I think the most important clue that Wolfe gives us regarding
Inire is his letter.  In  the letter he mentions his "cousins" and says that it
will not be long before they side not only with humanity but with
"us".  Who are these cousins? And why are they so reluctant to side
with humanity?  Who does the us refer to (Inire and Severian? The
Commonwealth?)?

Excellent observations and questions larry. I think the letter is our best clue
to Father Inire. Second best is Severian's Domnina/mirror story and the rest are
incidental, unless you accept that we see disguised versions of him. Everything in
the letter (and Domnina story) is drenched with important information about this
guy.

Most agree that Father Inire (and the Cumaean) are cacogens; aliens not from Urth.
So who are their "cousins"? Cousin implies a sibling-like relationship, once or twice
removed.  We aren't shown that many aliens on Urth. Who fits that description best?
The alzabo? The notule or salamander?

Well, I'm being silly. The text of UotNS makes it pretty clear that it is the hierodules
who are being refered to as cousins. The Baldanders/Talos conversations rather clearly
describe B, F and O as reluctant helpers of humanity.

Invoking the religio-mythological connection, who would be the "once or twice removed"
relatives of angels? As I see it, removed from heaven= fallen. I think we can expect
that fallen angels would be, in many ways, the opposite of angels. B and F are tall,
Inire and Cumaean are short. B and F are young and beautiful, Inire and Cumaean are
old and ugly. B and F are careful to minimize their interactions with humanity.
Inire and the Cumaean get right into the thick of things- ugly things like war and
necromancy and artificial beautification.

Anyway, what Inire hopes to get from his "cousins" are more weapons. This is made clear
from the letter and Inire's obsession with winning the war with the Ascians. When he
says "us" he may mean Inire and Severian. He may mean the Commonwealth. It doesn't
matter. Think of it from Father Inire's perspective. He gets a new Autarch every few
decades but he remains in his position as "humble servant" for 1000+ years. Who is really
benefitting when the Autarch and the Commonwealth triumph? Father Inire.

B, F and O seem to have higher goals in mind than winning wars. Inire, Cumaean and Barbatus
and Famulimus may share Roman names, as cousins might be expected to do,  but their physical,
behavioral and lifespan differences must mean something. We may be tempted to think of Inire
as a wise, benign, humble sort of servant to Severian. But if we read Inire's letter and the
story of Domnina carefully we are shown disturbing flaws in his character. Wolfe marks Father
Inire's chamber with a monstrous ("teratoid") symbol. Should we ignore it?