(urth) instant new fan

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Dec 18 19:58:51 PST 2011

On 12/18/2011 7:59 PM, Daniel Petersen wrote:
> Thought people here might enjoy seeing that new readers are still
> discovering Wolfe for the very first time and being instantly
> enchanted.  A friend of mine (an aspiring writer) who loves Tolkien
> and China Mieville finally, at my persistent insistence, obtained
> BotNS and posted this to me on Facebook just now about what he's read
> so far:
>
> 'I love the languid, ivy-wrapped prose that Wolfe writes in. I've been
> discovering that this is a style I find myself entranced by when I
> read it. I was not long ago working through Titus Groan and found
> myself ensconced by many of the same elements that I'm loving in
> Wolfe's writing. Mr. Wolfe seems much better at marrying plot and
> poesy than Mr. Peake, however.
>
> I'm very excited about what waits around the corner. BotNS seems like
> the kind of novel I dream of writing.'
>
> Some pretty apt comments, I thought.
>
> -DOJP

Cool!

BNS has some of the most gorgeous lines I have ever read. There are many
others, but I think most often of the description of lotuses on Gyoll in
CotA immediately after Maxellindis's uncle's talk of what appear to be
the legions of Erebus:

With that he fell silent, looking out over the nenuphars. We were well
above that part of

Gyoll opposite the Citadel, but they were still packed more densely than
wildflowers in

any meadow this side of paradise.

This kind of mood/content juxtaposition enraptures me.