(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 04:48:28 PST 2011

Daniel Petersen wrote (16-12-2011 11:23):
> Dang it.  This thread totally got away from me.  Since I started the current
> genre discussion with a comment to the effect that BotNS has a 'feel' of SnS
> (at first), let me just remind those who saw that comment that I rather
> clearly said that this is just a feel and NOT that the series IS SnS (in
> whole or in part).  I still think I'm right that it has a significant SnS
> genre element in some of its contours - at least for a while.

I was the one who replied to that, and I was not saying you were saying that
it WAS s&s. I was saying I didn't get even the surface feeling of s&s from
it. I get more of it from The Malacia Tapestry or Lord Valentine's Castle.
That's not anyone's fault. Maybe for me s&s is a more restricted thing than
for others. I think of Conan the Barbarian rather than LotR as the
prototype. I'm not even sure I find LotR all that s&s, given the serious
'historical' feeling I get from it, nor the Hobbit, given its (deceivingly)
children's-tale style.