(urth) completed version - Donaldson, Moorcock etc

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 18:38:15 PDT 2011

And Moorcock's also said on many occasions that the Elric stories were exercises in a kind of pastiche of reversals. Recognizing elements that are lifted from other works and then used in certain generically deliberate and/or artificial ways isn't so much recognizing plaigiarisim as intention.

The fact that they've become his most famous books is something of a disappointment to him in some of his interviews, too (despite the fact that he keeps writing them...we all gotta eat, I guess). And they do read better when you think of them as quickly written thought experiments rather than "epic fantasy." In the end, he's kind of, "Hey, what if Conan was smart, over-cultured, and weak but had the same adventures?" At a certain point, the premise plays itself out, but I still enjoy the premise for what it was.

And I'm with the others that his literary merit is MUCH better judged according to the Cornelius books. The End of Time series is my personal favorite.