(urth) Round 2 of NPR top 100 sci-fi books of all time

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Aug 5 06:44:28 PDT 2011

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jerry Friedman
  Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 9:54 PM
  Subject: Re: (urth) Round 2 of NPR top 100 sci-fi books of all time

  I liked /Hyperion/, but was disappointed by the sequel.  I seem to recall that the mysteries were better than the explanations, which I seem to recall contained a lot of quantum double-talk.

I liked the sequel - I thought it explained things quite well.  The story was quite Wolfean, in fact, and I found the ideas reasonably plausible by SF standards.  The idea is that multiple universes exist, but at the end of time there is contention for a preferred final state of the universal wave function, and the Techno Core is arrayed against the humans in vying to achieve their preferred state.  The Shrike is an avatar sent into the past by the Techno Core in pursuit of Jesus Christ, the human avatar of Empathy.

- Gerry Quinn