(urth) Geography of the Whorl

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Apr 23 04:57:01 PDT 2011

From: "David Stockhoff" <dstockhoff at verizon.net>

> The Whorl always struck me as a kind of Tower of Babel. Does that fit?
>
> It's a monument to human ego, a "message" to the universe about human
> greatness, AND a kind of human cultural zoo.

There are some resemblances, but some distinct differences too.

The Whorl is a momument to one man's ego; Babel was a monument to human ego.

Typhon separated the Whorl into cities so the inhabitants could not conspire
against him (or hs analogue Pas).  This resembles God's splitting of the
human race into multiple linguistic cultures as a response to Babel.

Although the asteroid is probably ellipsoidal, internally I guess it could
be considered a tower of sorts, if we consider it as centred on the axis of
the Long Sun.

- Gerry Quinn