(urth) Introduction and Breath

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 05:24:50 PDT 2011

Gerry Quinn wrote (18-04-2011 11:38):

> Should we not speak of unreliable narratives, rather than unreliable
> narrators?

I think so, if we should speak at all.

> Antonio says above that every author does unreliability - Gene Wolfe
> crafts it, and other novelists achieve it as a "sub-product".

Not quite. I didn't mean GW crafts unreliability. I meant he cares about it
existing, and handles it accordingly. I also said others did and do it.

> I don't really agree with this distinction. All decent authors are aware
> of the issue, I think - they just go different ways to achieve the
> effect.

Where I disagree is that it is an effect to be achieved. It's innerent, and
I don't share the view that most authors tack it gracefully.

> I guess this ties into my view that Wolfe is a much *clearer* author than
>  his reputation would suggest.

Oddly enough, that's my opinion as well.