(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 17:15:47 PDT 2011

I think Wolfe's problem with it was that there was no reason not to have
written the story in the Realistic genre. It was a Naturalism story with
SF scenery. Pointless. It didn't deal at all with all the "other stuff"
that Wolfe thinks Realistic fiction cannot address.

Of course the same could be said of Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" --
just War fiction with lasers.
J.