(urth) Introduction and Breath

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Apr 17 16:39:01 PDT 2011

Absolutely. But I think the "more unreliable than is usual in science
fiction" standard applies, in which case all the characters you mention
are indeed unreliable. Often in SF, a character voices exposition, e.g.,
"We have occupied this planet since it was colonized by Terra in the
First Empire. Our main exports are ..." This is something of a
benchmark; we can always tell when the bad guy lies.

Villains, of course, say "Ours is a peaceful planet that has never known
war, etc." Captain Kirk always gets to the bottom of this.

But the Nebraskan is a great example of unreliability, because he
doesn't lie. Yet, we cannot trust his narration---that's all that
"unreliable" means. Similarly, when Blood appears at the manteion
unnamed, the narrator is, by conventional standards, being almost
dishonest. The fact that he makes the reader guess is important, not the
clues he offers.