(urth) Drotte-Roche mixup

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Apr 17 14:14:39 PDT 2011

Wolfe as a writer has been working against the kind of analysis that
allows for authorial error in the case of obvious discrepancies that
have no possible meaning consistent with the rest of the work? That,
i.e., authors are infallible?

Or was Drotte momentarily Roche, or Roche Drotte?

Is Severian to be seen, on the basis of one passage, as a clumsy
bumbling oaf who can't remember anything? Does it mean that he really
doesn't have a good memory at all but that he pretends and makes things
up and isn't even very good at it, except that 100% of the rest of the
time he's extremely good at it? Hey, maybe he made up the whole
acid-trip to Yesod.

It's not OUR theory that would make analysis of BOTNS impossible---it's
yours. It's certainly possible that we could discover "errors" that are
explained by Thecla's or some other's presence in his brain, but this is
not one of them. YOU are going to have to convince US, Antonio.

Or maybe we could agree that GW the translator screwed up, but Wolfe can
commit no error.