(urth) Introduction and Breath

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:48:02 PDT 2011

Possible Urth of the New Sun Spoilers!

Good points concerning the nature of Severian's "unreliable narration".
That was one thing that struck me while reading New Sun (I have only read it
once) ... Severian's perfect memory seems selective.  There are moments
where seems to say "I have a perfect memory, except for when I don't".
Furthermore, once the time travel elements in Urth of the New Sun are
revealed, it seems clear that his memory being perfect or not is secondary
in narrative importance to the fact that there are multiple versions of him
running around through time, with various other minds trapped in his, etc.
These seem to make him a problematic narrator more so than his tendency to
lie / mislead (although that too is important).