(urth) Introduction and Breath

Allan Anderson rubel at goosemoon.org
Wed Apr 13 16:01:54 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Editor B, Pale Fire is one of my favorite books too, but when I mention it
> or
> Nabokov here, no one responds.

I adored Lolita and Ada, but haven't yet read Pale Fire or anything else by
Nabakov. Oh, except for those lectures where he rips into Dostoyevsky and
praises Tolstoy.

I haven't really thought about Nabakov in a critical fashion, so perhaps
that's why little occurs to me when comparing him to Wolfe. What's an
interesting place to start? The way they present their narrators?

I'm a tad skeptical of an explanation of the BotNS narrative's lacunae which
relies completely on a book written so much later on. I don't mind if the
answer isn't concrete, but I'd really want the book's puzzles to contribute
to the experience of the book as it stands alone.