(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Sep 28 23:10:02 PDT 2010

On 9/28/2010 10:13 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> Roy C. Lackey- That power, and the power to bring the dead back to life, was a supernatural power.
>
>> Jeff Wilson- Of course it's supernatural
>

> Supernatural only to 21st century primitives who managed to use their puny millenium or two of
> scientific study to advance their understanding of the universe past alchemy, phlogiston and
> luminiferous aether to their quasi-religious beliefs in "entropy" and "conservation of mass-energy"
>
> We of Urth's First Empire have 30,000 more years of science at our disposal and thus have over 15x more
> advanced knowledge of the universe and its possibilities. Yet we should not debase ourselves with hubris
> and should  decline to snicker at the neo-Neanderthals who struggled desperately with their simple
> Einsteinian-Planckian-Hawkingsian knowledge of physics and felt they had it all figured out, even as they
> needed a supreme effort just to travel to Lune. ;- )

The only problem with that is it would make the First Imperials more
transcendent than the Yesodis. I also find it funny that trillions of
people on millions of worlds progress at the same rate as we poor
benighted earthlings paddling around the kiddie pool of the universe.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >