(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Sep 28 18:28:13 PDT 2010

On 9/28/2010 2:33 PM, DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:
> I took the sponge comparison as a metaphor. It does not strike me as a
> biological process.
>
> But at least it isn't hostile to life---as so many sci-fi-physics
> transformations must be, from scanning to teleporting.

Thinking more about it, it makes sense for a size-changing,
detachable-body-part giant to have decentralized viscera. There might
already be hearts and lung tissue, notochords, etc distributed through
out a Hierogrammate's body to assist in perfusion and reflexive
movement, but it's still a stretch to have giants who suffer square-cube
law problems like Baldanders and Juturna in the same book as beings who
can reformulate huge finger bones into a normal-scale full skeleton in
seconds without even a hint of waste heat or other biological side
effects, if both are equally biological in nature.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >