(urth) Vodalus and Severian continued

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 07:28:53 PDT 2010

>Andrew Mason- I'd always assumed that Hildegrin was visiting the Garden of Endless
>Sleep, while Severian and Agia were there, to look for another such victim,
>suggesting it was quite a regular thing.

It might. I think my thoughts have drifted in that direction. However it might also
support my current hypothesis that Vodalus and his followers are being directed to
ingest dead people who are important to Severian. Obviously the lake contains such a
one.

Hildegrin and the old boatman know each other. It may be that their purpose is more
intertwined than is apparent from their casual mention of each other. I say this
considering that the boatman bears a resemblance to Father Inire, Hildegrin is
associated with the Cumaean and she and Inire are associated, similar beings.

The lake scene with the boatman might also connect to the Stone Town scene. There
we find the Cumaean, Merryn and again Hildegrin fishing for and hoping to restore
life to someone important to Severian.