(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Sep 28 07:14:37 PDT 2010

On 9/28/2010 7:29 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> Jeff Wilson-  Typhon's resurrection by Severian is not reasonably believable as a
>> biological process, and I certainly did not casually accept it as one.
>
> I find this to be a puzzling sentiment. Surely it doesn't imply that Typhon is not a
> living being. It could imply the process is outside our current scientific capabilities
> but we already knew that.
>
> Does it mean there is some magic or divine power present in BotNS which somehow bypasses
> the role of cells, proteins, DNA and goes directly to some mystical life essence? I don't
> find this to be in the spirit of BotNS or SF in general.

Hello?! The Conciliator?!? Wields the Increate-given power to
selectively turn back the clock? Jader's sister's illness doesn't
subside and heal, it's just suddenly gone and she looks as healthy as if
she had never been ill. Other healing and resurrections are less
complete, but in their limited extent they remain nigh-instantaneous.

> (even Tzadkiel's finger transformation gets compared to sponge cellular action)

His transformations may be basically biological, but they defy anything
like the rate of biological processes. But since he/she is a genetically
altered alien being that strides across the universes and dwells where
entropy is reversed even without divine intervention, it's not hard to
see there might be more to it than the days it takes for a caterpillar
to digest itself and grow new parts. Tzad doesn't even have a sandwich.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >