(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

Nicholas Jost nickjost at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 13:10:04 PDT 2010

David Stackoff:

> Perhaps, but I believe Severian observes that Little Sev was pretty well fried.
>That suggests that energies were
>
> expended in frying him, causing the flash, whether or not some kind of soul
>extraction occurred.?
> Since we know the frying occurred, you'd be proposing a doubled event consuming
>doubled energies
>
> and producing doubled results (death and scanning). That's too complicated.
>And?there is
>
> no evidence that?"soul" scanning requires death.

This doesn't have to be the same as any previous event and in a sacrifice the
victim has a good chance of being consumed in the act.  Little Sev is a blood
Sacrifice at what can only be called the Temple of the Demi-God Typhoon.  At
that point Typhon appears.  No more energy is required in the consumption than a
pillar of fire descending to eat a goat (a traditional effect).  Is there more
evidence for Severian doing it?  I'm not aware of any in the text.

Nicholas Jost