(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Sep 23 15:17:51 PDT 2010

On 9/23/2010 4:27 PM, Jane Delawney wrote:
> On 23/09/10 08:01, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> "Typhon" shares human anatomy with Piaton, who *is* saint-named (the
>> original was martyred by having the top of his skull sawed off, per
>> the physicians' original plan), and his mind powers are impressively
>> strong but don't put him categorically into nonhuman status with folks
>> like Decuman and the Pelerine in the tent running around.
>
> There is no seed of doubt sown anywhere that Piaton is anything other
> than a human being - so it may be notable (perhaps) that there's no
> suggestion in any of Typhon's speechifying to Sev that there might have
> been a danger of rejection of the transplant ie. Piaton's body rejecting
> Typhon's head as foreign tissue - all Typhon appears to have been
> concerned about is the mastery of bodily functions.

> ps I'm making an assumption that GW would have been very well aware of
> the assorted problems associated with organ transplantation and
> rejection - these were well known even in the 1970s, though medical
> means of dealing with them have advanced since then.

The rejection issues are swept with the same hand wave that includes all
the sublime biological technology on Urth. The old autarch's detail on
the way the analepict works includes a transfer of brain cells that take
up residence within the recipient; this along witht he physican at the
ziggurat's repeated use of a single donor implies a rejection solution
so robust that no prior preparation (other than the one dose) and no
regimen afterward is needed and the concern is passe. So indeed Typhon
would be free to chose his donor from all his slaves, not just those who
are part of his alleged clone cohort.

Jonas is an example of a similar rejection-passe scenario: apparently
the hollow androids' remnant occupant-serving features include some kind
of physical as well as inductive interface to let the man operate the
limbs after trauma, that has been reversed to let the limbs operate the
man in the shepherd's case.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >