(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Thu Sep 23 14:27:29 PDT 2010

On 23/09/10 08:01, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> "Typhon" shares human anatomy with Piaton, who *is* saint-named (the
> original was martyred by having the top of his skull sawed off, per
> the physicians' original plan), and his mind powers are impressively
> strong but don't put him categorically into nonhuman status with folks
> like Decuman and the Pelerine in the tent running around.

There is no seed of doubt sown anywhere that Piaton is anything other
than a human being - so it may be notable (perhaps) that there's no
suggestion in any of Typhon's speechifying to Sev that there might have
been a danger of rejection of the transplant ie. Piaton's body rejecting
Typhon's head as foreign tissue - all Typhon appears to have been
concerned about is the mastery of bodily functions.

Anti-rejection drugs are available nowadays for transplant recipients
and are moderately effective, and of course such could undoubtedly have
been given to Typhon/Piaton by his physicians. However, such medications
are designed for prevention of rejection of *human* tissue by *human*
recipients. I would imagine the problems would be duh, 'somewhat'
greater if Typhon were un-human; and would outweigh any problems
regarding mastery of the last autonomic functions by quite a bit. One
can only speculate on the putative state of medical science in Typhon's
era, but the fact that mastery of bodily functions is mentioned by
Typhon while tissue rejection is not strongly suggests to me that Typhon
must have been just as human, by origin, as his 'organ donor' Piaton; if
not in fact of the same blood group and tissue type.

> His nonbornness makes him a candidate for a eugenical test tube baby,
> who could perfectly well be from outer space where that sort of thing
> is in fashion but he needn't literally be an alien monster when a
> human tyrant is more than sufficiently monstrous.
agreed.

jd

ps I'm making an assumption that GW would have been very well aware of
the assorted problems associated with organ transplantation and
rejection - these were well known even in the 1970s, though medical
means of dealing with them have advanced since then.