(urth) Dorcas the Forgetless or Baldanders the Forgetful?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 10:55:29 PDT 2010

>Jeff Wilson- Baldanders' half-awakeness and dreamlessness could be really be a sleep
>disorder, or his distraction when his attention wanders to more intellectual matters.

I very much agree with the latter guess. I think Baldanders is sorta sleepwalking
through the life we see him living in the first two books with Dr. Talos to tell him
to eat, sleep, wake up, lift up stage equipment etc. His mind is back in his castle
figuring out new biological experimentation and perhaps planning his eventual rule of
Urth or establishing his god/megatherian-hood.

>Ryan Dunn- "I'm . . ." Dorcas turned toward me, frightened. "Dorcas," I said.

When Severian first meets Dorcas, she "swallows" before she says her name. I don't know
if gut-level intuition has any advantage, but in both cases, on re-reading, my intuition
told me that her hesitation is because she goes by another name. A nickname which, for
obvious reasons, can't be revealed at this time in the story.

Not a very exciting answer but I lean toward that one.