(urth) Dorcas the Forgetless or Baldanders the Forgetful?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Sep 7 09:11:30 PDT 2010

On 9/7/2010 9:39 AM, Ryan Dunn wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have stumbled across another interesting exchange between Dorcas and Baldanders. The morning after the first play, just before they divvy up the coin from the crowd, Baldanders speaks to Dorcas. He asks who she is, and Dorcas reminds him.how they met the night before. It's worth noting that she forgets her name for a moment, though it could have been she was more hesitant to answer...
>
> ..
>
> Though he seemed thoroughly awake, Baldanders stared at her. "Who are you?"
>
> "I'm . . ." Dorcas turned toward me, frightened.
>
> "Dorcas," I said.

> Baldauders told Dorcas, "You have a wonderful memory. I wish I could recall everything like that."

This could be Baldanders' saracsm, since Severian who has the wonderful
memory answers for her, and generally fills her empty vessel (heh).

Baldanders' half-awakeness and dreamlessness could be really be a sleep
disorder, or his distraction when his attention wanders to more
intellectual matters.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >