(urth) Names on the Whorl

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Tue Sep 7 08:39:33 PDT 2010

David Stockhoff wrote:

> It just occurred to me that someone said Blood was Pike's son. That
> would be a third case, after the Horn/Sinew/etc. system and the Silk
> from Tussah system. If Blood had a brother, it might be Scale or Fin.

Blood is not a good example. We happen to know the exact circumstances
of his naming, and Maytera Rose broke the regular convention by
calling him "Bloody" after her difficult (perhaps C-section)
childbirth. Since that was an adjective and not a noun it was soon
converted to Blood by everyone except Rose herself.

It looks like the mother has the most say about the name. Another
example is Nettle, named so by her mother out of dislike for her
child.