(urth) Grand Unified Theory

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Sep 2 13:46:58 PDT 2010

It's not easy to decide where to draw the line. Wolfe explains his naming system as little as he possibly can.

On one hand, Hide, Sinew, and Horn are related names---names you might expect from a tribe of cattle herders, for example, because all are cattle parts. They are also related by being materials rather than animals. But not all names follow this pattern, so the familial nature of this group might not be applicable to all names. They may form a system that is limited to them alone.

The simian names are all animals. Fish names are all animals. Both are potentially symbolic. Silk and Chenille are both materials, but one is from cotton and the other is not.

These names might form a system, but it's hard to see how family relationship is one of them.