(urth) Grand Unified Theory

António Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 12:26:47 PDT 2010

Lee Berman wrote:

> Antonio Marques:
>
>> Maybe Typhon isn't being honest
>
> Typhon makes it clear he considers Severian and perhaps all humanity
> too far beneath him to warrant lying (...)

Maybe Typhon isn't being honest.

>> The conditions on the Whorl have nothing to do with those on Urth
>
> The conditions which lead to a ruler's face being important to
> his/her authority would seem to be human psychology not location.

Istr he says the importance of it is that his subjects were used to it.
In the Whorl the cargo could get used to anything, they even got used to
considering him a god.

> Of course it is Typhon's arrogant truthfulness to Severian about
> Piaton their body's autonomic functions which lead to his end.

I wonder how a shapeshifter able to do pretty much anything
biologically-wise fits into the whole having a head of his grafted onto
a man's body, not being able to control it fully and then dying because
someone stabs the man's head.