(urth) academic commentary

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Tue Nov 30 10:55:09 PST 2010

2010/11/30 António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>

> Thomas Bitterman wrote (30-11-2010 02:22):
>

>  Another way of looking at it.  The question is "How did Wright miss/not
>> include an obvious (and likely superior) interpretation that any careful
>>  reader would read?".  The answer is "Because it made him feel
>> uncomfortable".  This looks like a clear case of arguing against the
>> author rather than the thesis.
>>

> But is it more complimenting to answer "Because it's above his league?"? I
> certainly don't think that's the case.

That is a false dichotomy.  There are other ways to answer which do not
involve speculation on Wright's personal properties.  I would even suggest
that the question itself is not helpful/applicable to understanding a
non-fiction thesis.

Craig Brewer has a good post on another thread with the same name describing
how he sees Wright's method.  I agree with him.