(urth) Wine god (was: Re: Dionysus)

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Mon Nov 29 18:30:28 PST 2010

On 29/11/10 19:49, James Wynn wrote:

> Dionysus is an important god in Greek mythology but he is missing from
> the Whorl pantheon.
Just a quick thought - this is true in terms of a being named Dionysus
or similar, but there *is* a wine-god, isn't there? I'm sure there is a
passage in vol. 3 of Long Sun where Silk meditates upon the nature of
the wine-god, who is reputed to be the son of Thyone (I think - sorry if
this isn't accurate, I don't have my books to hand right now), who is
herself 'a very minor goddess ... a less favoured mistress of Typhon' (I
presume this means less favoured than Kypris). However, there is a
curious suggestion that the wine-god may not after all be a bastard son
of Typhon but in some sense the son of the Outsider. Which would
probably make this a Christian reference - Christ as wine-god - not as
in god of drunken orgies of course, but God manifest in the wine of the
Eucharist.

Very allusive indeed, but interesting IMO

jd.