(urth) Antipolaric brothers

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Nov 25 10:57:08 PST 2010

On 11/23/2010 9:23 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> Andrew Mason: Are we ever told Caesidius' hair colour?
>
> Severian remembers Dux Caesidius as being "a fine commander" with a
> "hawk face"
>
> Eata remarks that Valeria may have married him because he looked like
> Severian though handsomer and taller. I think that's all we get.
>
> Hard to think of a blonde guy with icy eyes resembling Severian but
> it is possible.

Or the light hair could be premature grey, I suppose.

> On the other hand, the character at the end of RttW is steering a ship
> and while "commander" can be a general military term, it is foremost a
> naval rank, I think.
>
> Cyriaca gives the most detailed description of Severian's
> face but she doesn't mention his nose. I can imagine it being aquiline, as
> I tend to think Severian is patterned after a Greek hero.

At some point, Severian says he has a straight nose, but a straight nose
is readily converted into a hooked or curved aquiline one through being
broken once or several times. This hook nose could parallel Sev's cheek
scar, broken by a mighty blow that displaced the helmet that otherwise
protected a monied campaigner's head.

> Either way a good catch by Jeff to connect the hawk-like features of these
> two.

Thanks!

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >