(urth) Wind god

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 22:04:00 PST 2010

On 11/6/2010 8:38 PM, entonio at gmail.com wrote:
> I think the possibilities are only 2:
>
> - Severian is Earth's future
> - Severian is in the future of an alternate Earth
>
> I.e. even positing that Severian is a kind of Jesus, he can't be the
> first Jesus in his planet, otherwise where do the echoes of
> Christinanity that prrecede him come from? One might say the
> Concilliator visited earlier times, but all the evidence we have shows
> him closely associated to the end of Typhon's reign - or is there any
> hint that his time there is seen as a second coming?

Those are hardly the only two possibilities.

Given that Time collapses with each cycle it is entirely irrelevant
whether the cycles were "earlier" (in meta-Time) or not. For the memory
to move backwards is no harder (or even different) than for it to move
forward.
As for where do the echoes of Christianity come from, in the post you
replied to, I explained how that could easily work using a model Wolfe
has constructed in another novel.

But, it really doesn't matter from the characters' point of view. One
might as well say, "It all happens in the same universe" and just go
with it.

u+16b9