(urth) Wind god

entonio at gmail.com entonio at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 18:38:05 PDT 2010

No dia 2010/11/05, às 22:41, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> escreveu:

> As I've said before, I can see little narrative value in
> differentiating between Severian existing in our future or in a
> previous cycle. I could construct a self-consistent model in which
> they are different --
>
> --one where the coming and sacrifice of the Christ works backwards
> and forwards into adjacent cycles so others are enlightened by the
> story and where there is a Catholic Church without a Christ for the
> same reason grooms wear black in "There Are Doors" --
>
> --but it all comes to the same thing from the point of view of the
> characters and there's nothing like it explained in the story.

I think the possibilities are only 2:

- Severian is Earth's future
- Severian is in the future of an alternate Earth

I.e. even positing that Severian is a kind of Jesus, he can't be the
first Jesus in his planet, otherwise where do the echoes of
Christinanity that prrecede him come from? One might say the
Concilliator visited earlier times, but all the evidence we have shows
him closely associated to the end of Typhon's reign - or is there any
hint that his time there is seen as a second coming?