(urth) Mucor and the devils

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Nov 27 11:25:12 PST 2010

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>
T>>Andrew Mason: Next, what are devils? The 'devils' about which Pike warned
Silk are
>> clearly inhumi. But as I understand it, inhumi were not present on the
>> Whorl from the start, so what are the devils mentioned in the
>> Chrasmologic writings?
>
>>Gerry Quinn: I interpret them as fallen spirits of some sort.  I don't
>>think they
>>necessarily refer to any specific kind of being.
>
> I don't see the need for being parsimonious and embracing ambiguity here.
> I think the
> clues are pointing to a specific answer- there were Inhumi on the Whorl
> from the
> beginning, meaning there were Inhumi on Urth.

I don't see any reason at all to suppose this.

> Such vampiric creatures are, of course, not on the forestage of the story
> in BotNS but
> I think there are hints of them in some sections related to Dorcas and
> Jolenta. There is
> a hint of mystery in the discussion of blood bats (including that we see
> their results but
> we never quite see them). And there is the vampiric Jahi in Dr. Talos'
> play.

Vampires are a staple of mythology, and there are multiple types.  I suspect
the number of large-scale sf/fantasy works that contain some kind of vampire
is probably greater than the number that do not.

There is even a real creature on Earth, the vampire bat.  On Urth, the
alzabo has vampiric aspects, and it is not related to the inhumi.  The
inhumi come from Green, at hot jungle planet, and would be uncomfortable on
Urth.  And they would have been discovered at some time.  And how would they
have gotten there?  Really, this seems to me a bizarre stretch!

Devils are not vampires.  They don't suck blood.  They may I suppose
disguise themselves as people, but they are more commonly known for
possession - which is also Mucor's best-known trick.

> Moreover, the similarities between Inhumi and the Shadow Children from
> 5HoC suggest to
> me that these sort of creatures were on Wolfe's mind before and after
> writing BotNS and
> thus by inference, during.

What similarites?  The Shadow Children are humans!  And they don't suck
blood or take the shapes of others.  The aborigines take on human shape, but
they don't suck blood.

There *is* one curious resemblance between the peoples of 5HoC and BotSS
that I have noticed.  In both cases, the two species working together
(Shadow Children and aborigines in 5HoC, and humans and inhumi in BotSS)
gain psychic powers that neither has separately, although the actual powers
gained differ greatly between the two cases.

> I certainly agree with Gerry that they may be seen as "fallen spirits".
> Without this in
> place I find no purpose for Severian and his flushing of Urth. The Bible
> implies that
> the Flood here on Earth was necessary because fallen angels/demons had
> come down and mated
> with human women, creating a giant race of Nephilim and all manner of
> wickedness among humans.
> Dr. Talos' play contains allusions to all this.

Come now - even if the flooding of Urth is essential rather than a
regrettable side effect of curing the Sun, Urth has monsters and wickedness
enough without the need to import inhumi!

> I have found this view reinforced by some incidents in the Long Sun
> series. When inhumi are
> brought to Urth and convert to true human form, they show some interest in
> finding out what
> it is like to eat our sort of food. But mostly they have an intense desire
> to copulate with
> people as much as possible. (to the point that a human-inhumi war is
> instigated when one is
> denied the opportunity to copulate). The theme of extremely large size as
> a pre-requisite to
> (false) godhood is found throughout the Sun series.

I don't what you're saying about large size - the inhumi are smaller than
humans.

Coming back to Mucor, I was struck last night by an anomaly (fortunately, I
was not injured). Mucor sends out her spirit and possesses bodies, usually
but not always human.  But she calls Quetzal "the man who isn't there",  My
first impression was that she could see (and supersede) spirits.  But inhumi
have human-appearing spirits!  Why do they not look normal to Mucor?
Perhaps she sees bodies rather than spirits, and Quetzal lacks a human body.
But she still notices him.  So Mucor must be able somehow to see body and
spirit at once when on her travels.

- Gerry Quinn