(urth) Typee, incidentally

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Nov 13 18:00:33 PST 2010

On 11/13/2010 2:12 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> I tend towards the view that the Hierodules are on the right side in the
> Cosmic struggle; if they were merely human we could indeed be very
> suspicious of their motives, but I do not think they are intended to be.
> Of course, that is just what one of theire dupes would be expected to
> think, but still... as I noted before, we haven't seen anything at all
> to make us think the other side is good.

I wouldn't say it is quite that one-sided; Juturna claims to be
motivated by love, both personal and on behalf of Abaia and his minions
in general. Her acts of assistance and succor outnumber those of menace.
It may be an alien love whose details we find revolting, though it
manages to serve the Increate's plan. Sev's discourse just before her
appearance in the throne room suggests each party to the plot does good
and evil and each has some of the truth, making the "sides" more of a
continuum.

I wonder if Juturna's green hair is also a couched reference to Asimov's
"Green Pacthes"/"Misbegotten Missionary"?

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >