(urth) Wind god

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 06:28:24 PST 2010

>Stanislaus B.- I suggest reading Dumezil, especially on Varuna-type gods including
>Odin, and their servant creatures/people, such as luperci, centaurs and
>Gandharvas. Without Dumezil Pan etc is imposssible to understand.

In the biography, Wikipedia notes:

>Many themes of Dumézil's work have continued influence in ancient religious studies: for
>example, his impulse to comparative study, and his basic insight that polytheistic gods
>must be studied not simply by themselves, but in the pairs and ensembles in which their
>worshippers grouped them.

Thanks Stan. Yes, this is EXACTLY what I am finding in RttW as a unifying theme which
extends back to  the subtext of BotNS. I find the general concept confusing but focusing
on the things (gods) Wolfe seems to be focusing on is at least allowing a vague explanatory
model to appear, for me.