(urth) Wind god

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Nov 8 02:51:51 PST 2010

On 11/7/2010 6:19 PM, Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org wrote:
> It seems Baldanders must have some knowlege of Severian. It's too coincidental that They cross paths and travel together performing a preview of their future. I guess that the Heirodules, working backwards, have given Baldander's enough info to get him in Severian's path.  He must know he's been set up when he see's them in the audience at the House Absolute.

> The multiple timeline thing doesn't gel much with me. I see this time model as an Amphisbaena that has a foreward and backward perspective. They can see Severian cutting through the time spiral enough to start meddling. The story only happens one way. All the time meddling creates the story as it always was, like any great story of prophesy.

I think you will need to chose one of these two theses. If there is one,
inevitable timeline, no involvement is required to arrange a  meeting
between Sev and Baldy, since there are no other possibilities and the
agents of the all-seeing Tzadkiel would know it.

But it may be that there are but two outcomes possible and the meddling
strengthens one while weakening the other.
After reviewing Mantiss' bear and cat essay, I am inclined to think that
this is the case, the bearish wintry Ragnorok future opposing the feline
sultry Ushas one.

This may be the substance behind Lee's observations of time-traveling
architecture; it's not sequentially bound with up and down, but
polarized: the jungle hut is Ushas-y, while Valeria's court is
Ragnorok-y. We can even bundle in the Hypogeums: they represent the
protective wolf den which both shelters from the cold but isolates from
the renewed prey of the returned spring; they cannot serve as a refuge
forever and the Epitome must emerge to the final fate of Urth whichever
it may be.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >