(urth) Wind god

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Nov 3 08:51:42 PDT 2010

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

> Still pecking through RttW and finding interesting revelations.
> One thing I find striking are the numerous mentions of Typhon/Pas as
> a god of winds. Why are we hit over the head so hard with this when the
> connection wasn't addressed at all in the previous five books of the
> Long/Short
> Sun series? (unless we count the hot, drought winds plaguing the Whorl
> during
> Silk's ascendence).

I read the Short Sun trilogy recently.  I noticed Pas was associated with a
whirlwind once or twice, but that's all I remember - certainly not being hit
hard with it.  And a whirlwind is different from a typhoon or sirocca.

I don't really see why the association would be important anyway, though.
What, if anything,does it tell us about him?  I can see how a whirlwind or
windstorm might reflect his rapid conquest of Urth - but we already know
about that!

- Gerry Quinn