(urth) SINGLE Gene Wolfe literature universe?

Milton Jackson miltonwjackson at gmail.com
Mon May 10 19:49:32 PDT 2010

Well, what of that? Robert Howard tangentially linked his Kull, Bran Mak
Morn, and Conan series and by extension much of his other work, but each was
an independent series reflecting in a different way the author's ideas. In a
similar fashion, Edgar Rice Burroughs tangentially linked his Barsoom,
Amtor, Tarzan, Caspak, Moon Maid, and Pellucidar series. Having multiple
series set in the same universe at different times that explore the author's
ideas in different ways is not something that makes the author's work
cliched. If the Book of the New Sun is set in the same universe as The
Sorcerer's House or An Evil Guest or Pirate's Freedom or even Shields of
Mars, the stories themselves have nothing in common except maybe a common
universe. That detracts nothing form Wolfe's vision as an author or his
originality in the conception of his literary worlds.