(urth) The Sorcerer's House Questions (*Major Spoilers*)

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Tue Mar 30 19:36:21 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com> wrote:

> Thomas Bitterman
>
>> This just begs the question.  The only record we have of them seeing any of
>>
>> this is from the letters that Bax has.  These are the very letters that are
>> being called into doubt, at least the supernatural parts.
>>

> No, I am bringing in all the independent witnesses against your theory. To
> support it, you have to say that the challenge note from George, the letters
> from Madame Orizia, and the second letter from Doris are all forged or
> edited by Bax. And I say that oversteps the bounds of the suspension of
> disbelief. About the only letters admitted as factual at this point are
> those to and from Shell, and letters from Millie.

As mentioned in another post, the circumstances of George's note and its
contents make forgery probable, IMHO.  Madame Orizia is an accomplice (and
somewhat out of
the loop - how could she cover his home "quite thoroughly", given the
warping it's always doing?).  Doris was not emotionally stable when she
wrote the second latter and should not be considered a reliable witness.
FWIW, the Compiler (whom I maintain is Bax) is upfront about "extensive"
editing.

So:
- the note from George is a forgery
- Orizia's letters are genuine, but she is mixing truth and fantasy
- Doris's letters are genuine, but she is emotionally distraught and hence
unreliable

Windows into Faerie, werewolves, vampires, visions of the future, astral
>> projection, triannuluses (triannuli?), houses that grow and rearrange -
>>
>> these are all harder to swallow than lucking into money.  Not everything he
>> says is false, just the stuff about Faerie.
>>

> All right then, what is your rational explanation for him "lucking into
> money"? Was a deed to a house just handed to him? If so, why? And then he
> just happens to inherit a valuable chunk of real estate?  Please show
> in-story clues to what really happened.

Fraud and forgery.  I mean, a felon fraudster, truly gifted in forgery,
"inherits"/forges wills for properties from a couple of people who died out
of town with no heirs?  Really?  This is less believable than windows into
Faerie, werewolves, vampires, etc.?