(urth) The Sorcerer's House

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 14:39:15 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org> wrote:
> What I want to know, as always, is why does Wolfe get the crappiest covers?
> The Sorcerer's House cover is one of the worst yet.

At a panel, Wolfe said that the covers on The Book of the New Sun got
progressively worse with each cover as the expectations of the
publisher increased. He said, no one expected much out of Shadow of
the Torturer so they left them alone. But S0tT did well so the Art
Director got more involved. As the prospects for each volume improved,
the AD's involvement increased. And the quality of the covers
decreased with each volume too.

I suspect the publisher had high hopes for the Long Sun/Short Sun
series and it showed in the covers.

However, I thought the cover on AEG was fine. The covers on TWK and PF
were stodgy & a little boring but the illustrations inside made up for
that. The cover on Starwater Strains always attracts attention.

If I had my druthers, I'd like to see a collected works rack of
volumes in 60s-style modernist covers. Here's an idea of what I'm
talking about:
http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/25-magnificent-modern-day