(urth) The Sorcerer's House

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 14:51:27 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>wrote:

> What I want to know, as always, is why does Wolfe get the crappiest covers?
> The Sorcerer's House cover is one of the worst yet.

I really like the look of the book's interior – ornate and mysterious. But
yes, the front cover is a disappointment. His last few books have had pretty
good covers, though I wish Pirate Freedom didn't have the damn "Sci-Fi
Essentials" marker on the spine.

As for the puzzleboxes versus novels debate, I liked The Sorcerer's House
and Pirate Freedom, but don't especially care for An Evil Guest. Memorare
was a lot of fun, but I haven't given it too much thought. I've yet to read
Soldier of Sidon, but everyone seems to love it, right?

I don't think Pirate Freedom is one of Wolfe's best books, but it surprised
me quite a bit – I didn't expect Chris to be anything like the character he
ended up. (Being intentionally vague for those who haven't read it)

-Matt