(urth) The Sorcerer's House Questions (*Major Spoilers*)

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Sat Mar 27 07:51:08 PDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Jonathan Goodwin <joncgoodwin at gmail.com>wrote:

> Identifying the compiler and Bax makes everything too easy. If you can
> reconcile this with an implied author compiler and the psychic, then
> it might work better. (I had somewhat similar thoughts.)

The psychic is a confederate.  She is paid for her help in getting Millie to
buy in to the whole Faerie thing.  Having a psychic as a fraud would fit
Wolfe.

A little terminology before handling the Compiler.  Let's use "author" to
indicate the writer of the story, in the world of the story.  For example,
Severian or Watson.  We can then use "Author" to identify the real-life
writer, for example Wolfe or Doyle.

Wolfe has used the author/Author distinction before, in Urth.  In Urth,
Wolfe explicitly identifies when the Author is speaking.  If we take it as a
rule that Wolfe always identifies when the Author is speaking, then the
lack of identification of the Compiler as the Author would make the Compiler
the author.  That is, the Compiler is a fictional character who wrote the
story,
in the world of the story.