(urth) follow up (was: Re: Hello, I'm a Newb)

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Wed Jun 30 15:01:23 PDT 2010

First of all please forgive if I seem to change the message header for
no reason; I already mentioned somewhere on list that my ISP's mail
server simply /will not/ (no matter how I fiddle with the settings)
return my list mails to me unless I start a new thread. This is very
annoying, obviously! Please Nicholas take this as a direct response to
your post of 22:28 tonight.

On 30/06/10 22:28, Nicholas Jost wrote:
> Since Gene Wolfe was mentioned in an article appearing in First Things recently
> and was recommended through a friend I decided to pick up some of his books.  I
> read "An Evil Guest" first, and once I realized I had missed pretty much the
> whole book, I picked up the New Sun series (including the fifth book) and
> promised I would pay more attention.  I have read some of the archive and the
> notes on the Gene Wolfe Wiki (which I _think_ is maintained by one of you
> folks?).
>

> I am now going to add my entirely wild musings to the mix.
>
> 1.) Is Severian Albion?  He becomes the "Storm God" in the end and the servitors
> of Albion also "serve" him especially when he is saved.

It's stated somewhere I think in the 5th book (can't be more specific
right now, don't have the time frankly) that what is done on Urth at
Severian's time (whether that is during his apprenticeship, wanderings,
Autarchy, return out of time as the Conciliator, or indeed as the
Sleeper Awakened upon Ushas) may 'echo' somehow back down the ages.
Also, the deeds of those around him may do much the same thing.

In this context we find Urth/Ushas echoes/prefigurings (from the
Hierodules' point of view, their time-sense runs backward vs. ours) of
such popular and legendary myth-tropes as Dracula, Frankenstein (kind of
backwards here, with the 'Monster' ie Baldanders as the master), Robin
Hood (Vodalus is a somewhat perverted version of the 'good bandit'),
Storm-gods (Severian seems to be in the role of Thor and similar
deities, as well as that of Jesus on the Sea of Galilee, when he
quietens the storm on Gyoll - though the idea that this storm is based
within his out of control anger is more Thor-like than Christ-like by a
very long way ... and possibly even more Marvel-Thor than
Norse-Deity-Thor, for that matter), Sun-gods (Apu-Punchau is a name for
the Inca solar deity Inti) and Fish-gods such as Oannes (or even Jesus
again, though I do realise that the 'fish' thing has more to do with
early Christian need for concealment (the ICHTHOS glyph) than with any
real connection with the man Jesus.
> 3.) Has anyone else had difficulty explaining the plot to his aged grandmother
> and consciously skipped over the Dorcas character?

Duh. No actually :) Why did you need to explain the plot to your Grannie?
> 4.) Is Severian a proto(/post)-Christian (not -like) figure in a Mormon
> universe?  That is it seems to have an endless hierarchy of gods.  The concept
> of an "uncreate" blows this theory but the robots seem to have an endless
> hierarchy topped (roughly) by a race.  Am I missing something?

That's 'increate'. And as for Mormons, you tell us? I doubt there are
many Mormon experts on this list.

cheers

JD