(urth) Hello, I'm a Newb

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 14:55:32 PDT 2010

> 1.) Is Severian Albion?  He becomes the "Storm God" in the end and the
> servitors of Albion also "serve" him especially when he is saved.

Are you referring to William Blake's mythology?

> 2.) Is he the same Storm God as is in an "Evil Guest"?  If they both
> exist on the same timeline then "An Evil Guest" would be well within
> the period in which the new sun is in transit (I'm assuming Apu is
> pre-colonial South American).

I don't think so. I don't think Severian and Cassie are in the same
literary universe. The Storm God is described as an ancient alien who
has been on Earth since before the evolution of mankind. He seems to be
a sort of Cthulhu squid god. See "The Tree is My Hat" for a story set on
Cassie's island. See "Endangered Species" and "Starwater Strains" for
stories set in Severian's universe. Also the Long/Short Sun series.

> 3.) Has anyone else had difficulty explaining the plot to his aged
> grandmother and consciously skipped over the Dorcas character?

You were able to explained the plot to someone?

> 4.) Is Severian a proto(/post)-Christian (not -like) figure in a
> Mormon universe?  That is it seems to have an endless hierarchy of
> gods.  The concept of an "uncreate" blows this theory but the robots
> seem to have an endless hierarchy topped (roughly) by a race.  Am I
> missing something?

I suggest you review the threads from a couple weeks ago on this.
There's not much of a consensus on this. But _I_ ascribe the generations
of gods to the Sun Cycle universe being a Christian Gnostic one with
it's layer upon layer of generational aeons.

u+16b9