(urth) Is Agia a Robot?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Jun 20 09:50:31 PDT 2010

That's an interesting suggestion. It's a way to retain the "sacred
twins" theory without the robot angle. Funny how it's easier to propose
an entire unknown race (perhaps since we know such must exist)  than to
explain why someone would create an assassin robot or why a sexbot would
turn holy and self-directed.

The robot theory is based entirely on Agia's (1) possibly metal head and
(2) possible identity as the poppet. The bio-android theory doesn't need
#1. As Roy notes, there are no other hints that she is metal despite
many opportunities, and if we accept as simple truth their twin origin,
Agilus' death disproves the metalhead clue for me. But Agia remains an
extreme femme fatale---emphasis on both words. Why?

The Asian-appearance thing is irrelevant to this except to the extent it
suggests a non-Nessus origin for her and "explains" the use of ninja and
assassin weapons.

I'd prefer to rest a theory on at least 3 data points. If she's not a
"hard robot":

---Her strength has another source
---She could still be the poppet
---Agilus could be her actual twin IF she's a genetic/flesh android or
just human

After giving away the hard-robot part, is it needed that A&A be anything
other than human at all? It's not strictly necessary that Agia be the
poppet; it may be enough that Hethor recognizes something in Agia that
he likes---it could be as simple as that she is passive in bed and
dominating/controlling otherwise, although I doubt her ability to even
fake being passive if she's human. Perhaps Hethor needs both dominance
and submission.

Still, I believe the poppet story must lead somewhere. We know Wolfe
really likes the live-puppet theme, as a subcategory of the live-robot
theme. It's actually hard to imagine a long novel by Wolfe without it.
It has to be in there somewhere. Jonas is one twist on that theme.