(urth) Allegory

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 07:52:20 PDT 2010

Well, sure. But they're also serving very similar purposes as far as this discussion goes. (There's context as well as definition.) Both are didactic types of writing. And the discussion so far about allegory has focused on an author's didactic purposes rather than the difference, say, between personification-allegory and beast fables.

If we go with Tolkien's distinction between "applicability" and "allegory," I would think that insofar as a fable has a "lesson" to be learned, it's still didactic and, to use Tolkien's phrase about allegory, something that "resides...in the purposed domination of the author."