(urth) travelling north

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 12:49:47 PDT 2010

On 6/3/2010 2:04 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
 >The Book of the Long Sun is set in the same universe,
 >and in it Silk has a vision of a hero riding into a city,
 >greeted by supporters waving fan-shaped leaves.
 >(I can't remember the page offhand.)
 >Surely this represents Palm Sunday,
 >suggesting that Jesus existed in this universe?
 >-Gerry Quinn

He had this vision during his enlightenment by the Outsider (presumably
the Increate). Surely the Outsider is the Lord of all the Universes, and
could offer a vision from any of them. Still, I've never been able to
piece together any narrative value from saying that Jesus never came in
Severian's universe. As was recently pointed out, the world would be
quite different if there had never been a Christianity, and Severian's
past is very much like our own.

IMO Too much is made of Wolfe's personal Christian beliefs in his most
of his fiction. I don't think he tries to make his fiction conform to
correct theology. I recall that in an interview he obliquely used Orson
Scott Card as an example of a writer that puts his faith into all of his
writings and said that he himself did not do that.

"The Concilliator" is more of a Gnostic concept and a Gnostic Christian
concept. I don't believe Wolfe is Gnostic even though it is reasonable
to assert that what _The Chronicles of Narnia_ were to Orthodox
Christianity, the entire Sun Cycle is to Gnostic Christianity. Wolfe has
said that Severian is a "Christ-figure". Well, Mithras is a
Christ-figure. Hercules was, in some 1st or 2nd century paen, called
"The Savior of the World".

J.

PS Before anyone objects, I realize that Paul used the term "mediator"
in Galatians and 1 Timothy, but in Galatians he says that with Christ
there was no mediator between God and Mankind, and in 1 Timothy he seems
to be using the term ironically to dispense with complicated concepts of
mediators in ala angels, the Law of Moses, and (I think) early
Gnosticism (in 1 Tim. he also refers to "profane and vain babblings, and
oppositions of science falsely so called" and "myths and endless
genealogies [aeons]").