(urth) travelling north

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Jun 3 12:04:30 PDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>

"FWIW, my opinion is that Urth is presented as less spiritually
advanced than Earth, notably lacking two important earthly
spiritual events, The Flood and the Coming of Jesus. Thus,
Severian has his roles to play. The Urth we are reading about
is much older than our current Earth but being stunted in its
spiritual growth is still troubled by some of the ills which
plagued our pagan ancestors."

The Book of the Long Sun is set in the same universe, and in it Silk has a vision of a hero riding into a city, greeted by supporters waving fan-shaped leaves.  (I can't remember the page offhand.)  Surely this represents Palm Sunday, suggesting that Jesus existed in this universe?

- Gerry Quinn