(urth) traveling north

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 04:44:19 PDT 2010

The Mystical Body of Christ, in Catholic Doctrine, is the Church.  The
teaching can be found in Ephesians:

"15 But doing the truth in charity, we may in all things grow up in him who
is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body, being compacted and
fitly joined together, by what every joint supplies, according to the
operation in the measure of every part, makes increase of the body, unto the
edifying of itself in charity."

But what is the Church?  The Church Militant, the worldly administrative
body headquartered in Rome doesn't exist in Severian's world, so that's a
poor guess as to Wolfe's meaning.  The Catholic Encyclopedia, however, gives
that meaning as the third definition of the term *ecclesia.  *This is the
first:

"It is employed to denote all who, from the beginning of the world, have
believed in the one true God, and have been made His children by grace."

Clearly, this is Wolfe's intention.