(urth) On the allocation of blankets

Scott Cooper sec6 at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 2 16:05:24 PDT 2010

Right:  just because it's Wolfe doesn't mean it has to be convoluted.
I strongly agree with that.

I hadn't thought of your interpretation, and it fits the text well.
What's more, it explains why the first word out of her mouth was "I,"
and relates it to the foregoing passage where Pega is talking to Odilo
in a low voice.  On the other hand, asking for a *second* blanket
would have been extraordinarily selfish.  Do we really have any
indication she's -- not just that selfish, but that indifferent to
what people think of her selfishness?  She'd be like Jolenta, in that
case.

If we're going with a "not convoluted" explanation, then I'd go with
my #3, i.e. what she's about to say is "You can share MY blanket any
time, big boy" or words to that effect.

My reason for thinking there might be a "convoluted" interpretation
was the following principle of Lupine exegesis:  where there's a
mystery, there's a clue.  I think we can agree there's some mystery
about Thais. The typical Wolfe clue is (I assert) a minor detail
which, if you even notice it makes you ask "why did he even include
that?"  The whole Odilo/Pega/Thais episode only occupies a few pages,
and, looking within it for such a detail, I found the elbow-in-the-
ribs episode.  That's why I thought it a question worth asking.

Also, incidentally:
Are you sure old fashioned gallantry would have prevented Odilo from
accepting the blanket after Thais asked for it?  What he's displayed
towards her up to that point isn't gallantry -- it's irritation.  I
think a more likely explanation why he wouldn't accept the blanket if
she asked for it is that he suspects she's of exultant caste (but
suspects, too, that she's only pretending to be.)  I think his
irritation's provoked by that ambiguity:  it's just the sort of thing
that would get on his nerves.