(urth) On the allocation of blankets

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Wed Jun 2 11:14:37 PDT 2010

I really don't think it's that convoluted. Everyone except Thais can
see that it is only Odilo's old-fashioned gallantry that is making him
refuse the blanket he badly needs. Severian's "why don't you use it
until I'm ready for it?" is transparently a way of getting him to take
it without losing face.

Thais doesn't say anything until Severian has said this, so most
likely she was about to say "I could do with another blanket, if it's
going spare."

Odilo would never have accepted the blanket after that, so the
compassionate Pega, who has already taken a shine to him, quickly
shuts Thais up.