(urth) more thoughts on Jolenta

Jack Smith jack.smith.1946 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:25:19 PDT 2010

I think Jolenta is simply a poor human waitress and the wires are part of
Talos' transformation procedure.

"The woman you call Jolenta" is an interesting statement.   It calls
attention to the fact that she had another name.   Does anyone know of any
clues about her real name?    *Lexicon Urthus *indicates that the meaning of
"Jolenta" is "the pretty one."  The name is part of the glamour that Dr
Talos, like a Hollywood producer, creates.  Norma Jeane Baker becomes
Marilyn Monroe;  Frances Ethel Gumm becomes Judy Garland.    Who was the
waitress who became Jolenta?

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Cliff Judge <transentient at gmail.com> wrote:

> So we've got these plain, poor girl waitign tables at a cafe who is
> "discovered" by Dr. Talos, who "casts a glamour" on her to make her
> superhot.
>
> But something about what she said when the troupe split after the thiasus
> struck me. She said they were going to "destroy" her.
>
> And then there is the fact that her lifeless body, later, has circuitry and
> stuff going on.
>
> Now the clearest story here is that she was just a poor waitress, and Dr.
> Talos' thaumaturgy involved prostheses to make her thighs and breasts plump,
> her face and hair beautiful, and probably to give her confidence as well.
>
> But Jonas was certainly an android, and he fell for her immediately and
> completely. He once refers to her as "the woman you call Jolenta;" he had
> another name for her, but perhaps he KNEW another name for her?
>
> Could Jolenta have been an android as well? Perhaps she was an android the
> whole time, and without bringing attention to this fact, Dr. Talos simply
> recognized her as such when they first visited the cafe and thanked his
> lucky stars that he found a model he could work with.
>
> Jolenta ate food on a couple of occasions, didn't she? I believe Jonas is
> shown to both eat and sleep. I have read it theorized that Dr. Talos is an
> android built by Baldanders, and he does not eat, sleep, or require the
> company of women, and we know that Jonas was in the process of fleshifying
> himself. But still...the idea nags me with how robotic Jolenta seemed.
>
> I also read a theory that the Lady Katherine woman was an android.....ooh.
> Hey, wonder if they were the same person.

Best wishes,
Jack