(urth) Is Agia a Robot?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jun 18 10:51:09 PDT 2010

Well, the proverb doesn't describe female assassins---just women. So
it's ambiguous. She could certainly be a trained or experienced female
assassin, in addition to being either nonhuman or nonfemale. But since
Wolfe probably made up the "proverb," it was with a purpose, and there
are no clues that Agia is simply an angry trained human female assassin.
(Unless she wears secret assassin armor on her head.)

The theory requires either that a sex doll be strong or that a strong
robot can be a sex doll.

Either that a sex doll is capable of close combat or that a fighting
robot can be a sex doll.

Either that a sex doll that can be whatever her partner wants her to be
can be an assassin, or that an assassin can be whatever her target needs
her to be.

Is Agia an assassin robot straight out of Dune who played sex doll for
Hethor because she wanted his power and money but feared his monsters,
or is she a sex doll who turned skillfully murderous? Either way, what
changed? How did she get control of Hethor? or did she?

As an aside, it's remarkable how this discussion has begun to resemble
that for AEG, where characters almost openly adopt disguises and deal in
identity deception, and where a play is actually part of the plot. I
always assumed New Sun characters were more stable than they appear to
me now. But then I never figured out the Silk vs Horn thing either.